Q) What is Dementia?
A) An umbrella term describing the symptoms that are caused when the brain is affected by certain diseases and conditions.
The most common of these is Alzheimer's disease, followed by Vascular Dementia, Fronto-Temporal Dementia and Dementia with Lewy Bodies.
Last week CareChooser completed the Alzheimer's Society's brilliant Dementia Friend training. The training advocates 5 main points which CareChooser pledges to implement in it's home care.
- Dementia is not a natural part of ageing.
- Dementia is caused by diesase of the brain.
- Dementia is not just about memory loss.
- It is possible to live well with Dementia with support and understanding.
- There is more to a person that the Dementia.
There IS more to the person than the Dementia. Despite the negative associations, the stigma and the fear surrounding the disease. We need to look past the Dementia and see the person, their life and their acheivements.
Our home carers have a strong understanding of Dementia and can provide help and support to those with the condition to live well.